The Farm Estate
A true passion passing down from generation to generation
A Land of Wine, Olive Oil and Arable
The extensive farmlands that surround the Castle of Montozzi have been cultivated for centuries with vineyards, olive groves, arable, pulse and vegetable crops.
The Bartolini Baldelli archive contains numerous documents dating back as far as the 1500s that bear witness to the agricultural production and commerce at Montozzi.
Moreover, in 1716 the announcement of Cosimo III of the Medici family that identified the Val d’Arno di Sopra, together with Chianti, Carmignano and Pomino, as one of four specific areas recognised by the Grand Dukedom for the quality of their wine production. It was therefore in the Val d’Arno di Sopra that the Castle of Montozzi wine production developed its own winemaking tradition, by now absorbed into that known worldwide as Chianti.
In 1980, thanks to the respective owners, Giovanni Battista and Piero Bartolini Baldelli, the Castle of Montozzi merged its agricultural business with that of the neighbouring farm, Villa di Migliarina. Since then, the two estates have worked with synergy and unity as one sole enterprise.
The farms cover an area of 620 hectares of which 200 are arable, 25 vineyard and 25 olive groves. The remainder of the estate is made up of managed woodland.
The latest major development at Montozzi took place in 2010 when Carlo and Antonio Bartolini Baldelli, who manage the entire agricultural production, converted to 100% biological farming.