The Castle of Montozzi
From Military Stronghold to Country Village
In War and Peace
First mention of a fortified castle known as ‘Mons Teuzi’, deriving from the name of its feudal lord, Teuzzo di Ildebrando dei Sassi, Lord of the Bulgars, goes back to 1036. It was a fortified stronghold at the top of a hill that served to replace a nearby castle built by the Bulgars in the 8th century.
Montozzi was a fortress coveted by lords such as the Guidi and the Ubertini due to its dominating and strategic position overlooking the valleys of the Upper Arno and Ambra. During the war between the Guelfs and the Ghibellines, Montozzi was destroyed and rebuilt on a number of occasions due to its crucial and strategic position over lands deeply contested by Florence, Siena and Arezzo.
From the 1400s, the Val d’Arno di Sopra finally fell to Florence and, consequently, Montozzi shed its military profile for that of a serene country village, home to a large and active agricultural community.
Among the families which invested in land and buildings that made up the Castle of Montozzi were also the Bartolini Baldelli from Terranuova. Over future years, they were to become the sole owners.